Sunday, March 30, 2008

Blogs expressing past work experience??

http://www.careerjumpstart.org/images/resume%20cartoon.gif

In "The Blog is the New Resume," Joshua Porter states that 5 reasons why blogs are becoming the new resumes in the 21st century. Even though I think that it can definitely help an employer learn about you, I see it more as a supplement to a Resume. One commenter on his post stated that a blog doesn't provide relevant information to a employer. I absolutely agree with that. It does not include your past work experience or the actual skills you possess. Instead it gives a candid look at who your are and your opinions on different topics.

It allows the employer to learn a little more about your personality rather than your qualifications for a job. I don't want someone to judge me based on what I write in a post. The style of writing I use in blog posts are completely different then my academic writing. The way I act online is completely different than I do in the workplace. I'm definitely opinionated in my blog posts and speak out when I feel necessary but in the work environment I respect the hierarchy and act accordingly.

So to reiterate once again, the blog will never become the Resume of the 21st century but rather a useful supplement to learn more about an individual.

1 comment:

SteveO said...

I agree that the blog will provide employers the opportunity to get a better look at a person's personality, but I could actually see the blog becoming the resume of the 21st century.. Like you did in your most recent blog, you explained a position you had in the Romney campaign.. If all people include stories of past work experience in their blogs, an employer can get a good look as to what you are capable of and what you have already accomplished in your professional life